A dermatome is an area of skin innervated by the cutaneous branches of a single spinal nerve (all spinal nerves except C1).
The dermatomes of the trunk are almost horizontal.
The upper limbs nerves come from the brachial plexus.
The anterior surface of the lower limbs come from the lumbar plexus nerves.
The posterior surface of the lower limbs come from the sacral plexus nerves.
Use this Table of Contents to go to the next article
Painting by Michael Reedy
The Basics. Start here. This is your Foundation.
Epithelial and Connective Tissue
Skin, Hair, Nails, Sweat Glands
The Central Nervous System
YOU ARE HERE AT THE PNS
The Peripheral Nervous System
The Autonomic Nervous System
The Cardiovascular System
- The Endocrine System (Pituitary, Thyroid, Pancreas, Adrenal, Gonads, etc)
- The Lymphatic System (Spleen, Thymus, Lymphatic vessels, nodes etc)
- The Respiratory System (Lungs, Alveoli, Bronchi, Trachea, Larynx, Nasal cavities, etc)
- The Immune System
- The Urinary System: Kidneys
- The Urinary System: Ureter and Urinary Bladder