Reddit currently has 7000+ subreddits that have gone private in protest to the API changes that will render many 3rd-party apps useless, many of which are the only way disabled (blind) users can view reddit among other issues. I know a ton of my own posts that have gone viral are on reddit, as well as the wealth of information on r/bodyweightfitness that my fans use. It’s a very common practice to search for something and tack on “reddit” to the end of a search result to get a good discussion and info on a topic you’re looking for. The problem is now those links are not viewable. Your solution is to use Google’s cached version or to use the Wayback Machine archive. These have pitfalls that I will address as well.
How To View Reddit Using Google Cache
In the google search results, click the 3-dots next to the link and you’ll get googles cached copy. If you’re not sure what to look for, look at this 5 second video demonstration.
How To View Google Cache on Mobile, Android and iOS
Look at the very end of this link and you will see a link to example.com:
Replacing the “https://example.com” with the link you want to see will spit out the cached version, so here’s my recommendation:
- Copy and paste the following URL into your Notes app to save it:
- Whenever you stumble upon a reddit link you want to view, copy the link to the reddit post.
- Switch back to your notes app and paste it to the end of that URL.
- Make sure there are no spaces.
- Copy the entire link and paste it into your browser and voila! You can see the cached version.
How To View Google Cache on Chrome Browsers
- Copy the reddit link you want to view.
- Type cache: and paste the link into the address bar without leaving a space.
- Press Enter and you’ll see the cached version from Google.
How to Use Wayback Machine for Reddit
The WayBack Machine is similar to Googles cache but it also keeps snapshots of webpages that have disappeared entirely off the Internet.
- Go to archive.org
- Paste the link you want to see and press enter.
- Click on the latest date to see the latest version they have saved.