Here’s a small list of viral drugs. It can be way longer but it’s kept short here. Notice they are easy to identify as either the generic or brand name may contain ‘vir’ in it.
- Acyclovir (Zovirax) – p.o., inj., topical
- Valcyclovir (Valtrex) – p.o.
- Zidovudine (Retrovir) (AZT) – p.o.
- Lamivudine (Epivir) – p.o.
- Amantadine (Symmetrel) – p.o.
- Oseltamivir (Tamiflu) – p.o.
Remember, if the body cannot clear the viral infection, then we can’t cure it. Some examples are HIV and Herpes. They will recur regardless and all we can do is try to control it.
- Some viral infections cannot be cured
- HIV, Herpes
- Some agents may stop flare ups
- Acyclovir and valacyclovir
- Some agents may hasten recovery to help clear it faster.
- Amantadine can work against Influenza type A