Listen to Them
The key is to pay attention to what’s going on in their lives. They may be complaining about something or saying exactly what they need. People do it all the time! It’s just that they’re not expecting you to get it for them.
- Are they always cold and don’t have a nice jacket? A warm jacket would be cool.
- Is their phone always on the verge of dying? If they have a car, get them a car charger?
- Did their computer speakers or headphones stop working? Get them some computer speakers.
- Are they always saying they have muscle knots? How about an awesome foam roller? Or a gift-card to a local massage spa?
- It doesn’t always have to be a physical thing, either. What if they’ve been wanting to go for a morning hike? Or ice skating at the local rink? Maybe your gift to them could be an outing, together!
Listen to them, early
The earlier you start paying attention to what they need, the more awesome your gift will probably be. You’ll probably spend less money too, because you’ll have time to research and find a great deal online.
If it’s for someone you live with, it may be easy to think of a gift, but if it’s a friend you see only a couple times a month, start paying attention and keeping an ear out for gift-ideas a couple months ahead.
Make it a habit to jot down the gift ideas (even if their birthday is not near) in your phone so you could have a nice list when their birthday comes around.
If you don’t have any time to think of anything…
You could try asking their friends and family for help. Worst case scenario, a gift card to somewhere you know they love or an Amazon.com gift card will always be a nice no-brainer gift as well. If it’s for someone special though, a gift-card may be a bit too blasé depending on the occasion. You will be better off putting together a really nice card with letter expressing your thoughts at the very least! Or maybe write them a poem, or bake them a cake… just something done with love doesn’t always have to involve getting a plastic-item!
Anyway, if you follow the things I said above, you’re probably going to get them something they’ll actually use and that’s a great gift! Hope that helps.