Warming Up Is CRUCIAL!
This is true not only for push ups but most especially if you’re doing any hand balancing like crow pose and handstands!
Below is another quality video by Ryan of GMB for prepping/warming up your wrists
After you watch the video a couple times, you can just write down this “cheat sheet” below and always have it by your side for reference until you memorize it!
- Finger Pulses
- Palm Pulses
- Side to Side Palm Rotations
- Front Facing Elbow Rotations
- Side to Side Wrist stretch (lean/push away)
- Rear Facing Wrist stretch – palms down
- Rear Facing Wrist stretch – palms up
- Rear Facing Elbow Rotations (star trek vulcan salute)
- Forward Facing, Lean Forward as much as possible
Avoid putting all your weight in the heel of your hand!
This infographic by Candace helps you understand how to properly distribute the weight on your hands.
Most importantly make sure you’re not collapsing your weight into the heel of your hand.
Here’s a drill to help you understand how wrist pressure is alleviated by not collapsing your weight into the heel of your hand: Go into downward dog, and try to exaggerate that cue by simply lifting the heel of your hand off the floor so that all the weight is supported by the knuckles and boom, zero wrist pain. I’m not saying you have to lift the entire heel of the wrist off everytime, but I’m just sharing this exercise to help you understand your wrists better.